If you are like me, you love to have a tool handy for capturing the beautiful world under water. Not only would you want to take amazing pictures of fish species, you also want to make sure those pictures are amazing.
With the advent of underwater cameras, you can easily shoot photos as well as videos without water seeping into your camera. Moreover, if you are just starting out with underwater exploration, or you want to get a new camera for shooting photos underwater, this is the review for you.
We have come up with some of the best underwater cameras to make this adventure easier for you. The list below includes waterproof cameras along with the features, pros, cons and our recommendation.
This is the #1 bestseller on Amazon.com as at the time of this write-up. The SVP Aqua 5500 18MP Dual Screen Waterproof Digital Camera is available in two color screens. It has a front display that is 1.8 inches of TFT while the LCD color display is 2.7 inches. This unit has a digital zoom with an 18 Megapixel. This unit is waterproof and it possesses video capacity. It is available in different colors so that you can easily select your favorite color combination.
It can be used with an SD card. The SD card could be as much as a 32GB capacity. It is suitable for use with Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP. It is also available for the Mac OS This unit weighs around 8.8 ounces. This will cost around $70.00
- It shoots very clear and sharp pictures.
- It is capable of shooting underwater photos.
- It can be reused.
- It is good for taking pics in and out of water.
- It is light in weight – It doesn’t tire out your arm when you use it for a long time.
- This unit is inexpensive compared with other models out there.
- It is an ideal tool for snorkeling.
- It is easy to operate.
- It is compact in size – it needs little space for storage.
- The batteries on this unit run down quickly since they are AAA batteries.
- One customer complained that the pictures taken with this model is somehow fuzzy.
- The screen size and display may not be up to what you are expecting.
You can easily snap pics of different sorts of fish under water and even shoot a video to record your adventure. Perfect for under water filming.
This model is available for you in different color variants so that you can select your favorite color from the list, plus it is waterproof and shockproof. This unit is solidly built to allow for long term usage. It is water resistant up to 33 ft. and has a 3” LCD color display. It can shoot HD (1080P) movies. You can also use this unit with stereo sound as well as movie recording button built with it. A 16MP video camera weighs only 0.15 pounds. This will cost around $280.00
- This is a durable video camera for taking underwater shots.
- Full HD 1080p Video can take splendid images and amazing videos.
- GPS features that enable you to tag your pictures with the name of where you took them.
- The auto focus feature on this model is very effective.
- It can be used by tech savvy people as well as beginners.
- Some people complained that water seeps into it underwater which may spoil the LCD display so it does not work underwater
- the battery life is not that great
- Someone that has used this model before complained that the buttons on it are a bit sensitive and may at times serve a purpose that is not needed.
- Some other people also complained that water seeps into this unit underwater. This may actually spoil the LCD display. And we think this should not be used under water to avoid this pitfall.
- The battery life of this model is not that good.
It is easy to operate and compact in size for easy storage. The buttons on this model are well placed, which makes it ideal for underwater photos.
This unit is a 16.1 Megapixel digital camera. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5A 16.1 MP Tough Digital Camera is available in different color variants and is built with a CMOS sensor. It has an optical image stabilizer that is 5-axis in width. It also includes a GPS feature for tagging your location – this is very handy when you take pictures on a tour. It is water resistant up to 13 meters, shockproof, and waterproof. This will cost around $290.00
- This unit is very easy to use.
- It has many exciting features for a stress free underwater video footage.
- The WIFI on this model allows you to do photo transfer to people in your network and it serves as remote control while doing this transfer.
- It has performed well in the ISO performance test.
- It gives very brilliant LCD
- The Wi-Fi on this model allows you to do remote control and photo between family and friends.
- It is durable and versatile.
- This model has slow lens, which delays pics.
- It also has a weak flash making it unsuitable for taking great pics at night.
- The WIFI feature on this unit is not very easy to set up as most users have opined. Another related problem is that it the WIFI does not have very strong signal reception.
Not only is this model durable, it is also versatile making it useful for underwater and land usage. It has a very good camera capacity for underwater shooting. You won’t be disappointed with its performance.
The cheapest camera on this list is the SVP Aqua 5500, 18 MP Dual Screen Waterproof Digital Camera. Therefore, if you were low on budget, we would recommend this for you since it has the regular features you may want from a waterproof camera.
However, if you want more expensive waterproof camera with more extensive features, the best option is the Nikon COOLPIX AW100 16 MP CMOS Waterproof Digital Camera with GPS and Full HD 1080p Video (Orange). It has many features like GPS and is capable of shooting full HD videos.